The Serbu "Super Shorty" Shotgun was first introduced and produced in 1996. Designed by Mark Serbu, this weapon is heavily modified - the shotgun itself can be sourced from a Mossberg Maverick 88, Mossberg 500, or Remington 870, with the Remington 870 variant costing more. Along with the 12 gauge, a 20 gauge variant is available as well. It can hold up to three shells - two in the tube, one in the chamber.
In the United States, it is classified as an "Any Other Weapon" instead of a shotgun (specifically, the sawed-off shotgun category, which is illegal in the United States). This is due to the fact that it is manufactured with a pistol grip instead of a stock, making it a smooth-bore handgun. It also features a spring-loaded, folding grip on the slide.
The Serbu has a very small magazine size, having three shells total. It reloads just as slow as the Remington 870. Damage is mediocre, falling behind the other shotguns, but still capable of a 1-Shot-Kill. However, what hinders the weapon most is its pellet spread. The pellet spread cone is even wider than the KSG-12, which makes it less accurate, especially at range. It also has the second slowest RoF out of any other shotgun, beating the KS-23M. Given its sawed-off barrel, it also has a worse range than the primary shotguns.
Usage & Tactics
Due to having a very wide pellet spread and mediocre damage for a shotgun, the Serbu is best deployed at a point-blank range (up to around 20 studs). This ensures the maximum likelihood of a 1SK against full-health opponents. Outside of Close-Quarters-Combat (CQC), the Serbu becomes mostly ineffective. At a distance of around 70 studs, it may require more than 3-Shots-To-Kill (STK) a full-health enemy, depending on how many pellets hit the target. The Serbu is very unreliable at this distance, as a user would most likely need to reload before being able to kill an enemy.
Birdshot, however, offers a very viable and powerful option for the Serbu. With birdshot, the performance at point-blank range is greatly increased. The increase in pellet amount allows for more pellets to connect to an enemy, increasing the chances of a 1SK. Since the Serbu already has terrible pellet spread and range, the penalty for using birdshot is minimal.
The Serbu is designed for CQC, so the weapon's potential with birdshot is greatly improved. When paired with a longer ranged weapon, it becomes a reliable backup weapon when faced with enemies inside CQC.
The Serbu Shotgun is a unique shotgun, designed for very CQC situations. The very wide pellet spread limits its effective range and the lower damage for a shotgun limits its 1SK ability. Because of this, one should only use the Serbu when needing to switch to their secondary, or entering into CQC environments where the Serbu offers better performance than their primary weapon.
Without attachments - only the ammunition type.
x0.9 max damage - x1.1 max range - x3 pellets 29-18
|Max (36 studs)||Min (60 studs)|
|(x0.99 - x1.1)(x24 pellets) Head||28.71 (689.04)||19.8 (475.2)|
|(x0.9 - x1)(x24 pellets) Torso||26.1 (626.4)||18 (432)|
|(x0.9)(x24 pellets) Arms and Legs||26.1(626.4)||18 (432)|
x0.9 max damage - x1.1 max range - x5 penetration
|Max (36 studs)||Min (60 studs)|
|(x0.99 - x1.1)(x8 pellets) Head||28.71 (229.68)||19.8 (158.4)|
|(x0.9 - x1)(x8 pellets) Torso||26.1 (208.8)||18 (144)|
|(x0.9 - x1)(x8pellets) Arms and Legs||26.1 (208.8)||18 (144)|
Slugs: x3 max damage - x2.5 min damage - x5 penetration - One projectile - Special multipliers
|Max (30 studs)||Min (60 studs)|
|(x1) Arms and Legs||87||45|
Note: The damage value in-game is rounded down, example: 99.9 damage is counted as 99 damage and not 100 damage.
Pros & Cons
- Extremely fast reload.
- Decent 1SK potential.
- Second slowest firing shotgun in the game.
- Wide pellet spread.
- Very low magazine capacity.
- Very low reserve ammunition count.
- The Serbu Shotgun is the first ever secondary shotgun introduced in the game.
- The Serbu Shotgun, in the Alpha version, used to also be a primary weapon. This meant that players could have two Serbu Shotguns when they spawned.
- The Serbu Shotgun has the least ammo out of all shotguns, both in terms of magazine size and total ammo pool.
- The Serbu Shotgun has the same attachments as the other shotguns. The only possible conclusion is that its attachment "template" was pulled from the primary shotguns.
- It's the only weapon in the game to not have a rear iron sight. It only has a front iron sight.
- There used to be a loading screen "glitch" in which you could see the loadout menu, except it always showed the Intervention in the primary weapon slot and the Serbu Shotgun in the secondary weapon slot. This occurred before the Serbu Shotgun was re-added to the game.
- In real life, the weapon can have either a 2+1 or 3+1 capacity, depending on length.
- With the slugs attachment, the Serbu Shotgun does 87-45 damage which is the second highest max damage secondary in-game, behind the SFG. However, its range with slugs is 30-60 which is the least out of the weapons listed.
- There is a feature exclusive to shotguns that allow the player to look over the optics by pressing "T". Attaching Canted sights deactivates this.
- On 4/4/2017, Stylis made the Serbu fully automatic with a 99 round magazine and 2000 rounds in reserve. It fired at 480 RPM.
- This used to be the only secondary shotgun up until the introduction of the Sawed-Off.
- The Serbu Shotgun in Phantom Forces was also in Battlefield 4 as the "Shorty 12g".
- The Serbu Shotgun is first sawed-off weapons.
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbu_Super-Shorty
- ↑ https://youtu.be/m_pXTItRtkc?t=4m12s
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawed-off_shotgun#United_States
|Primary Weapons||Assault Rifles||AK-12 - AN-94 - AS VAL - SCAR-L - AUG A1 - M16A4 - G36 - M16A3 - AUG A2 - FAMAS - AK47 - AUG A3 - L85A2 - Honey Badger - AK74 - AKM - M231|
|Personal Defense Weapons||MP5K - UMP45 - MP7 - MAC-10 - P90 - MP5 - Colt SMG 635 - MP5SD - MP10 - MP5\10 - AUG A3 Para - Kriss Vector|
|Light Machine Guns||Colt LMG - M60 - Colt LMG - AUG HBAR - MG36 - RPK-12 - L86 LSW - RPK - SCAR-HAMR - RPK-74|
|Sniper Rifles||Intervention - Remington 700 - AWS - BFG 50 - Mosin Nagant - L115A3 - Hecate II|
|Carbines||M4 - G36C - M4A1 - L22 - SCAR-PDW - AKU-12 - AK-12C - SR-3M - Groza-1 - Groza-4|
|Designated Marksman Rifles||MK-11 - SKS - Dragunov SVU - VSS Vintorez - SCAR-SSR - Dragunov SVDS [NEW!]|
|Battle Rifles||SCAR-H - AK-12 BR - AG-3 - Henry 45-70|
|Shotguns||KSG-12 - Remington 870 - KS-23M - Stevens DB|
|Secondary Weapons||Pistols||M9 - Glock 17 - M1911 - Deagle 44 - M45A1 [TESTING]|
|Machine Pistols||G18 - M93R - TEC-9 - MP1911 [TESTING]|
|Revolvers||MP412 REX - 1858 New Army|
|Other||Serbu Shotgun - ZIP 22 - SFG 50 - Sawed Off - Obrez|