The SCAR-H (Special Combat Assault Rifle - Heavy) is a Battle Rifle Class assault rifle produced by FN Herstal USA that fires 7.62mm rounds from a 20-round magazine. It is the bigger version of the SCAR-L. It can be unlocked at rank 30 or purchased with Credits.
The SCAR-H, also known as the MK 17 Mod 0 is the bigger-caliber brother of the SCAR-L rifle. It has been in service since 2009 to the present, and has had a conversion kit made for it that allows the SCAR-H to be made into a 5.56mm NATO-firing assault rifle.
Although SOCOM, the main tester and buyer of the FN SCAR series, judged the MK 16 variant to not have enough advantages to warrant the costs, the SCAR-H was considered a good choice to replace the M14 and the MK-11 (also in-game) marksman's rifles. Therefore, the funds originally intended to buy more SCAR-L rifles has instead been diverted to supplementing SOCOM units with more SCAR-H rifles.
The SCAR-H does 6 more maximum damage than its smaller-caliber counterpart ( 39 vs. 33 ), but it's enough to make a big difference (3 shots to kill versus 4 shots to kill.)
The same goes for the minimum damage ( 28 vs. 21 ), which is a 4 shot kill compared to a 5 shot kill. It has lower aiming and hip stability compared to its assault rifle brother and has the same accuracy as the SCAR-L but a much greater effective range. This rifle has somewhat strong vertical recoil, though it has the same fire rate as the SCAR-L. The SCAR-H features 3 fire modes: full automatic, burst, and semi automatic.
The automatic mode is set by default. If the player intended to use this weapon as an AR, it will be frustrating compared to other ARs at medium range due to the higher recoil and lower magazine capacity. However, players should tap-fire manually to increase their accuracy at longer ranges. It's recommended to use the full-auto mode at close range to increase the probability of landing hits.
The semi-automatic fire mode is great for countering snipers and marksmen, as it has the same minimum damage as a DMR such as the SKS. Using the left mouse and quickly tapping, the SCAR-H can be effective at long range and become a de facto DMR like the AN-94. The recoil control is also better while using semi-auto.
Manually tap firing at enemies is an effective way of eliminating them before they eliminate you. The low rate of fire and high damage ensures excellent long-range capabilities if aimed correctly, without the clumsy fire mode switching required when in semi-auto, allowing for easier elimination of flankers.
The burst-fire does not increase the rate of fire but dramatically decreases the stability, so it's only recommended at close range. At this range, if the player can score 3 successful hits with the burst, it's an one-burst-kill with the SCAR-H.
Recoil reducing attachmens are recommended for better handling with the SCAR-H due to its moderately high vertical recoil. For a barrel attachment, a muzzle brake is a recommended choice, as the SCAR-H has high vertical recoil, but low horizontal recoil.
Pros and Cons
- High damage per shot at both short and long ranges.
- Long effective range
- Decent rate of fire for a battle rifle.
- A pretty fast reload, however empty reloads are much longer than tactical ones.
- Higher recoil than its Assault Rifle counterpart.
- Holds a rather sparse amount of rounds in a magazine, for an automatic weapon, the SCAR-H will burn ammo quickly even with its slow RoF. Rather obviously, the user can simply switch to Semi-Auto to preserve ammo at longer ranges.
- This weapon handles somewhat similarly to its cousin, the SCAR-L, but it sacrifices the magazine size and low recoil for extra damage per bullet.
- It can get ammo from dropped DMRs (Designated Marksman Rifles), like the SKS, as well as the M60.
- Not surprisingly, it doesn't accept SCAR-L ammo due to the larger cartridge in the SCAR-H.
- The SCAR-H is known world wide as an assault rifle. The term battle rifle is mainly used in the USA, if not the only place, and the term was first used for the civilian market.
- Most of the European countries (France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, etc.) and even the Canadian forces classify the SCAR-H as an assault rifle.
- The SCAR-H was classified as an assault rifle in the Alpha. This was changed because of the larger caliber.
- As of version 0.8.0, which added more SCAR variants, the weapon was reclassified under the new Battle Rifle category. Previously, it had been under the DMR category
- It had a different gun sound in the Alpha; it was a lot deeper than the SCAR-L but now it has the same gun sound as its smaller brother.
- Before version 0.8.0, barrel attachments for the SCAR-H would be incorrectly placed. This has now been fixed.
- It is suggested to use a compensator with this weapon as it will fully negate the horizontal recoil, making it easier to control overall.
- The old SCAR H looked like the SCAR H SV before 0.8.0.
- The SCAR series of rifles does not have a 3-round burst mode in real life. However, Phantom Forces has a burst mode for both the SCAR-H and the SCAR-L, as well as the SCAR PDW. The trigger unit on both rifles provides for Full-Semi-Safe.
- For some reason, the Burst mode on the SCAR-H makes less recoil than firing on full auto, even though the two fire modes have the same Rate of Fire.
|Primary Weapons||Assault Rifles||AK-12 - AN-94 - AS VAL - SCAR-L - AUG A1 - M16A4 - G36 - M16A3 - AUG A2 - FAMAS - AK47 - AUG A3 - L85A2 - Honey Badger - AK74 - AKM - M231|
|Personal Defense Weapons||MP5K - UMP45 - MP7 - MAC-10 [ADDED!] - P90 - MP5 - Colt SMG 635 - MP5SD - MP10 - MP5/10 - AUG A3 Para - Kriss Vector|
|Light Machine Guns||M60 - Colt LMG [ADDED!] - AUG HBAR - MG36 - L86 LSW - RPK - SCAR-HAMR - RPK-74|
|Sniper Rifles||Intervention - Remington 700 - AWS [ADDED!] - BFG 50 - Mosin Nagant - L115A3 [ADDED!] - Railgun|
|Carbines||M4 - G36C - M4A1 - L22 - SCAR-PDW - SR-3M|
|Designated Marksman Rifles||MK-11 - SKS - Dragunov SVU - VSS Vintorez - SCAR-SSR|
|Battle Rifles||SCAR-H - AG-3 - Henry 45-70 [NEW!]|
|Shotguns||KSG-12 - Remington 870 - KS-23M [NEW!]|
|Secondary Weapons||Pistols||M9 - G17 - M1911 - DEAGLE 44|
|Machine Pistols||G18 - M93R - TEC-9|
|Other||Serbu Shotgun - Obrez - SFG 50 [ADDED!]|