|Weapon Type||Primary Weapon|
|Weapon Class||Battle Rifle|
|Rank Prerequisites||Rank 30|
|Damage||39 -> 28|
|Range||90 max -> 140 min|
|Magazine Size||20, 21|
|Fire Modes||Auto & Semi|
|Rate of Fire||625 RPM|
The SCAR-H (Special Operations Combat Assault Rifle - Heavy), also known as the MK 17 Mod 0, is the 7.62x51mm-caliber version of the SCAR-L rifle. It has been in service since 2009 to the present, and has had a conversion kit made for it that allows the SCAR-H to be made into a 5.56x45mm NATO-firing assault rifle.
Although U.S Special Operations Command (SOCOM), the main tester and buyer of the FN SCAR series, judged the MK 16 variant to not have enough advantages to warrant the costs, the SCAR-H was considered a good choice to replace the M14 and the MK-11 (also in-game) marksman's rifles. Therefore, the funds originally intended to buy more SCAR-L rifles has instead been diverted to supplementing SOCOM units with more SCAR-H rifles.
The SCAR-H does six more maximum damage than its smaller-caliber counterpart (39 vs. 33), but it's enough to make a big difference (3 shots to kill versus 4 shots to kill).
The same goes for the minimum damage (28 vs. 24), which is a 4 Shot Kill (4SK) compared to a 5SK. It has lower aiming and hip stability compared to its assault rifle brother and has the same accuracy as the SCAR-L but a much greater effective range. This rifle has somewhat strong vertical recoil, though it has the same Rate of Fire (RoF) as the SCAR-L. The SCAR-H features 2 fire modes: fully automatic and semi automatic.
Usage & Tactics
The SCAR-H can be used similar to that of an AR, due to its higher damage and range. It is considerably more difficult to use at CQC compared to other ARs, however, due to the higher recoil and lower magazine capacity. It sports a better TTK than most ARs at medium range, with its 3HK extending to 120 studs.
Due to its 3SK, flanking enemies while using the SCAR-H can be very effective. However, due to its lower magazine size, accuracy is paramount if a player wishes to take out more than three enemies. The SCAR-H only has a maximum magazine size of 20+1, very small compared to Assault Rifles and PDWs. This means that at most, with body shots, the SCAR-H can achieve only seven kills in CQC without reloading. In practice, the SCAR-H is most likely to achieve less than that. Carrying a good secondary is generally a good idea.
The semi-automatic fire mode is great for countering snipers and marksmen, as it has the same minimum damage as the SKS. Using the left mouse and quickly tapping, the SCAR-H can be effective at long range and become a de facto DMR like the AN-94. The recoil control is also better while using semi-auto. However, by tap firing, this can be achieved anyway, without having to switch fire modes. This allows the player to be better prepared in case of any possible CQC.
Recoil reducing attachments are recommended for better handling with the SCAR-H due to its rather high vertical recoil. For a barrel attachment, a muzzle brake is a recommended choice, as the SCAR-H has high vertical recoil, but low horizontal recoil.
The SCAR-H is a competitive weapon, able to excel at medium range. It can be seen as a CQC to medium range orientated Battle Rifle, unlike the AG-3. The SCAR-H has a lower Time to Kill (TTK) at close range, sporting a higher RoF, but the AG-3's 3HK at long range makes it better at longer distances. However, the SCAR-H can still compete at longer ranges satisfactorily.
Pros & Cons
- High damage.
- Long effective range.
- Decent RoF for its class.
- Quick reload.
- Low horizontal recoil.
- Small magazine size for an automatic weapon.
- Low RoF compared to other weapons.
- High vertical recoil.
- High ammunition consumption rate for its class.
- The SCAR-H was classified as an assault rifle in the Alpha. This was later changed.
- As of version 0.8.0, which added more SCAR variants, the weapon was reclassified under the new Battle Rifle category. Previously, it had been under the DMR category.
- It had a different gun sound in the Alpha; it was a lot deeper than the SCAR-L but now it has the same gun sound as its smaller brother.
- Before version 0.8.0, barrel attachments for the SCAR-H would be incorrectly placed. This has now been fixed.
- The old SCAR-H looked like the SCAR-H SV before 0.8.0.
- This weapon, along with the SCAR-L, used to feature an anachronistic burst-fire mode. This was removed in the July 4th, 2017 update.
- Outside of the USA, the SCAR-H is considered an assault rifle.
- The SCAR-H had some nerfs and buffs that nearly always changed the amount of reserve ammunition.
- In version 3.7.1, SCAR-H had only 60 ammo reserve, making it really hard to use. This was changed in the next update (3.7.2) to 100.
- Since New Steel update part 1 (3.11.0) on August 4, 2018, the amount of reserve ammunition is back at 120, the usual amount for Battle rifles.
- ↑  Wikipedia - FN SCAR
- ↑ http://www.fnherstal.com/primary-menu/products-capabilities/rifles/general/product/182/232/182/1/_/fn-scarR-h-std.html