|This piece of content is PERMANENTLY removed.
This content has been permanently removed and no longer exists in the game. It will not be re-added to the game in the future.
|Weapon Type||Primary Weapon|
|Weapon Class||Sniper Rifle|
|Damage||100 -> 100|
|Range||0 max -> 200 min|
|Rate of Fire||150 RPM|
The Railgun is a fictional Sniper Rifle. It was available as a battle pick-up weapon during the December 2016 Rogue One event and could only be found in the map Base Luna. It is also the first and currently the only battle pick-up in game.
A railgun is an electro-magnetic linear accelerator. It works because an incredibly intense pulse of electrical current induces a Lorentz force between two conductive rails (hence the name). This electromagnetic force accelerates a solid or saboted projectile to remarkably high velocities in the range of 3 km/s.
Currently, no practical man-portable railgun exists since they require an enormous amount of energy to function. With current technology, a handheld portable railgun can generate about as much muzzle energy as a small pistol. However, while the railgun itself might weigh only forty pounds and be four to five feet long (about the same as an AMR), its power supply must necessarily be impractically large, heavy, dangerous, and slow to charge the energy required for a shot.
However, heavy vehicle mounted railguns are currently being developed as naval "big guns", as well as smaller systems designed to shoot down mortars and other incoming munitions. Railguns have been thought of as a cheap way to launch fairly dumb payloads into orbit. However, they are only prototypes, and have not been deployed on any type of military vehicle yet.
The U.S. Navy is currently researching and testing out railguns and has developed several models of these "big guns" in association with industry, and these are almost ready for shipboard testing.
The Railgun has a fictional appearance with a black and white finish. The gun is loaded with a 3-round magazine in the bullpup style. It has a picatinny rail on the top and attached with an ACOG Scope on it. However, as a battle pick-up, it can't be customized.
The Railgun is extremely powerful as it can one shot kill (1SK) a full heath enemy at any body part at any range. This weapon has no bullet drop and the bullet travels instantly to the target. The 1SK ability at any range with its magazine holding 3 rounds and semi automatic feature makes it a really powerful weapon. The ACOG Scope on the Railgun has a higher magnification than normal; it has about the same magnification as the default sniper rifle's scope. The advantage of this is that the ACOG Scope doesn't need to hold shift to steady like the VCOG 6x Scope and the default sniper scopes.
Nevertheless, it is a battle pick-up primary, which means the player does not own the weapon permanently and they need to obtain it by finding it on the battlefield. There are multiple Railgun spawns throughout Base Luna and more than one can spawn at a time. The Railgun will also despawn after a certain amount of time provided that nobody has picked it up yet.
Note: Unlike railguns found in other games such as Battlefield 4 and Halo (4 and 5), the Railgun in Phantom Forces does not deal any splash damage. So if the user misses their target, no damage is dealt.
Usage & Tactics
If one has picked up the Railgun, it is recommended that the user sticks to long-ranged engagements as there it has no bullet drop and it's easy to pick off enemy players with. If the user is looking for a challenge, they can attempt to use this gun in Close Quarters Combat (CQC). If used by an experienced player, it can take down up to 3 enemies in quick succession providing it has a full magazine. Generally, it is not recommended for CQC as it has low ammo and spamming all bullets will prove costly unless if the user can hit their shots. Strategies with the M1911 regarding range apply here, patience is often key to using this weapon, and in the hands of an experienced player, this weapon will shred through their opponents.
The Railgun is an extremely powerful weapon, capable of killing a full health enemy in one shot and can take out multiple enemies at a time with little delay. However, it is held back by its low magazine size and is only obtained as a battle pick up.
Pros & Cons
- Capable of a 1SK at any range.
- Fast Rate of Fire (RoF) for a Sniper.
- Effectively no bullet drop.
- Comes with ACOG Scope by default with the same magnification as the default sniper scope.
- Very small magazine capacity.
- Battle pick up (Not able to be equipped or customized).
- The Railgun has the same firing sound and reload animation as the Dragunov SVU.
- It was even supposed to be unlocked at the same rank as the Dragunov SVU at 38. This means that the script code of the Railgun is identical to the SVU.
- The player could unlock attachments for the Railgun if they got the required kills. However, it was impossible to put them on as the Railgun was not available in the loadout menu.
- The model of the Railgun loosely resembles the Asymmetric Recoiless Carbine-920 (ARC-920) from Halo 4 and 5. The ARC-920 is also a railgun.
- It also resembles concepts drawn by Aaron Beck for Elysium, most notably in the "barrel's" cross-braced I-beam design, but also in its rear "battery". Unlike some of the Elysium concepts, however, there was no forward "battery" nor any gas canister to inject the rounds into the rails.
- The Railgun comes with the ACOG scope by default when it is picked up.
- As the SVU and the Railgun have the same scripts, it was possible to pick up ammunition for both the SVU and Mosin-Nagant from the Railgun as well as other DMR's.
- The Railgun being a battle pickup is likely from the video game DLC "Final Stand" for Battlefield 4.
- The Railgun was able to be found within the Codex Room.
- The Railgun was inherently bugged.
- If the player was not holding it when they died, that specific Railgun would be destroyed, and would never respawn.
- If the player was killed by an environmental hazard, the weapon would be destroyed, and would not respawn.
- In essence, if the Railgun did not drop from a dead player, it was destroyed.
- It was possible for all Railgun spawns to be disabled this way until the next time Base Luna was loaded.
- The Railgun is still in the game's files despite the weapon being removed.
|Primary Weapons||Assault Rifles||AK-15 - C7A2 - G11K2 - G36K|
|Personal Defense Weapons||Sten - MP5A4|
|Battle Rifles||AR-15/50 - AK/50|
|Grenades||M15 Smoke - M87 Stun|