The United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) took interest in the Stoner SR-25, which was a scaled up version of the AR-15 chambered in 7.62x51mm, particularly for its high magazine capacity and faster engagement time compared to bolt-action rifles. After some modifications, SOCOM adopted the SR-25 as the Mk 11 Mod 0 in May 2000. Changes included a shorter 20 in (510 mm) barrel that could fire M118 and M118LR 7.62×51mm NATO rounds and had a quick detachable sound suppressor mount. An 11.35 in (288 mm) free-floating handguard rail system allowed for mounting accessories. Flip-up front sights and adjustable back-up iron sights were added, and an M16A2 stock and pistol grip were used. SOCOM plans to entirely replace the MK11 with the SCAR MK. 20 Mod. 0 SSR by 2017 and the USMC started replacing the MK11 with the Knight's Armament M110 SASS, which are very similar (the M110 in turn will be replaced by the M110A1 CSASS, a modified HK G28, which is in turn a modified MR308, which is the civilian version of the HK 417).
The MK-11 is the first marksman rifle the player unlocks. It has low vertical recoil and low RoF of 330 RPM. One thing to note is that there is a pause between every 3-4 shots if this weapon is spammed, so it is best to have short intervals between each shot to maximize this weapon's RoF. But what it lacks in RPM it makes up for in accuracy with a very tight bullet spread. Even when shot at maximum speed due to its relarively low rate of fire (330RPM). The MK11 also has good damage, with it always doing a 3HKO to the torso or limbs and 2HKO to the head at any given range, even when equipped with the regular suppressor. Another one of the MK11's strengths is its high suppression, which allows the user to disorient enemies, especially those using long-range weaponry which rely on accuracy heavily. The low-bullet drop of this gun also aids in fighting against users of long-range weaponry, especially sniper-rifle users.
Usage & Tactics
The MK-11 is very effective at medium to long range thanks to its high damage. It can take out snipers quite well and its suppression effects are as high as the M60. The MK-11 is a good choice for long range marksmanship if the player doesn't quite prefer the sniper rifles in-game. However, at extremely long range (+600 studs), the MK-11 will be outclassed by sniper rifles because of its lower accuracy compared to them.
In CQB, the MK-11 is outgunned by almost all of the weapons in Phantom Forces. Its low rate of fire and the trigger delay makes make it impractical for this situation, unless that the user is very skilled with this weapon or has some luck with getting a weakened enemy who has low HP. A side arm like the Serbu Shotgun or an automatic pistol are highly recommended while using this weapon, as the MK-11 performs very respectably at the ranges which those secondaries aren't effective at.
Attachments that increase the MK-11's aiming stability and accuracy are best for the MK-11. These include the Stubby Grip, the Angled Grip, the Muzzle Brake for the MK-11's mostly vertical recoil, and any of the lasers. High zoom optics like the ACOG help out at long range to aid the user in landing shots quickly and accurately.
The fact that the weapon cannot one-shot headshot enemies and still has a lower fire rate than say, the M9, dissuades some people because it is difficult to reach the optimal firing rate and is incapable of inflicting a one-shot headshot on enemies with full health and having the instant kill, like the SCAR-SSR or SVU. Still, its main advantages over the OHKO-to-the-head guns are its higher maximum rate of fire and much lower recoil, allowing follow-up shots to be put out quicker and more accurately compared to the former two guns, where the firerate caps and recoil slow down the speed and accuracy at which follow-up shots are fired.
The MK-11, considering the aforementioned flaws, manages to stay useful because of its accuracy, low bullet drop, and a powerful suppression thanks to its 7.62x51mm cartridge, which can disorient enemies with the screen shake. This combination of traits can make the MK-11 an effective anti-sniper/sharpshooter weapon, capable of supporting teammates by forcing enemies to take cover from damage which they can't return and fighting snipers on a surprisingly level playing field.
Pros & Cons
- Very stable even when fired at maximum speed.
- High damage.
- Common ammunition.
- Fast reload.
- Low amount of reserve ammo.
- There is a delay in-between every 3-4 shots if the MK-11 is spammed, forcing players have to time their shots precisely to maximize Rate of Fire while not initiating the pause.
- The MK-11 in-game is the MK11 Mod 0.
- Using anti-recoil attachments will result in barely any recoil, even or equal to an M16A4 or AN-94, depending on the attachment setup.
- The default sights are actually the backup iron sights of the weapon in real life. So, it quite resembles the Canted Iron Sights attachment.
- This was the first marksman rifle added into the game, and most players agreed that this weapon was incredibly underpowered in the Alpha.
- In the early days of Phantom Forces Alpha, moving even a little bit with the MK-11 would cause its iron sights to move side to side, enough to block the actual target the user was trying to kill. Many considered this as the whole reason no one wanted to try using the MK-11.
- The MK-11's penetration value was originally at an insane 17 studs. This was a typo that has now been fixed.
- Adding any suppressor will not decrease the shots to kill for the MK-11.
- The MK-11 reloads very similarly to the AR-15 family. The only difference is the empty reload where the player pushes the bolt release and then pulls the charging handle after inserting a new magazine.
|Primary Weapons||Assault Rifles||AK-12 - AN-94 - AS VAL - SCAR-L - AUG A1 - M16A4 - G36 - M16A3 - AUG A2 - FAMAS - AK47 - AUG A3 - L85A2 - Honey Badger - AK74 - AKM - M231|
|Personal Defense Weapons||MP5K - UMP45 - MP7 - MAC-10 - P90 - MP5 - Colt SMG 635 - MP5SD - MP10 - MP5-10 - AUG A3 Para - Kriss Vector|
|Light Machine Guns||Colt LMG - M60 - Colt LMG - AUG HBAR - MG36 - RPK-12 - L86 LSW - RPK - SCAR-HAMR - RPK-74|
|Sniper Rifles||Intervention - Remington 700 - AWS - BFG 50 - Mosin Nagant - L115A3 - Railgun|
|Carbines||M4 - G36C - M4A1 - L22 - SCAR-PDW - AKU-12 - AK-12C - SR-3M - Groza-1 [NEW!] - Groza-4 [NEW!]|
|Designated Marksman Rifles||MK-11 - SKS - Dragunov SVU - VSS Vintorez - SCAR-SSR|
|Battle Rifles||SCAR-H - AK-12 BR - AG-3 - Henry 45-70|
|Shotguns||KSG-12 - Remington 870 - KS-23M - Stevens DB|
|Secondary Weapons||Pistols||M9 - G17 - M1911 - DEAGLE 44|
|Machine Pistols||G18 - M93R - TEC-9|
|Other||Serbu Shotgun - ZIP 22 - SFG 50 - Sawed Off - Obrez|