|Weapon Type||Primary Weapon|
|Weapon Class||Light Machine Gun|
|Rank Prerequisites||Rank 33|
|Damage||30 -> 23|
|Range||70 max -> 100 min|
|Magazine Size||100, 101|
|Fire Modes||Auto & Semi|
|Rate of Fire||750 RPM|
The MG36 (German: MG—Maschinengewehr "machine gun") is a squad automatic weapon version of the G36, equipped with a heavier barrel for increased heat and cook-off resistance, and a large 100 round Beta-C dual drum magazine for suppressive capabilities.
Like with its Assault Rifle counter-part, this weapon has had an export edition, the MG36E. However, the MG36 and MG36E are no longer offered by H&K due to the development of the MG4 and MG5 (previously known as the HK MG121) series. Because of this, MG36s are now quite rare.
In-game, the MG36 performs quite similar to the G36 and the G36C. It has low aiming and hip stability and its damage is on the lower side for LMGs, being a four-shot-kill (4SK) with its maximum damage, increasing to a 5SK with minimum damage. However, this weapon has a high rate-of-fire (RoF) and better mobility compared to other LMGs in-game. The reload time is quite fast for a high capacity weapon. Unlike the M60, the MG36 can switch between full-auto and semi-auto. The MG36, like the other G36 variants, has low to moderate recoil per shot but fires fast enough to kick up very quickly. This weapon's forte is at medium range, but it can handle quite well at longer ranges like the other LMGs given attachments are put on it. The MG36 can pick up ammunition from other 5.56x45mm NATO weapons. Due to the fact that the 5.56x45mm round is smaller in comparison to the 7.62x51mm round used in the M60, the suppression ability of this machine gun is lower than the M60.
A notable feature of the MG36 and all LMG's is that it has an alternate aiming mode, where it zooms in more than hipfire and changes recoil to ADS recoil, but the user does not truly ADS and look through the gun's optics. It looks like the user is hipfiring but with more zoom than normal.
Usage & Tactics
The MG36 is not particularly hard hitting, and its role on the battlefield is, more or less, to accurately spray down hostiles while they’re preoccupied with things such as objectives or separate firefights. The lack of a suppression effect means hostiles are going to be more comfortable coming into the open and not staying behind cover, which might be either positive or a negative depending on what the user is trying to achieve.
At medium range, the MG36 is powerful, while at longer ranges it is noticeably less accurate than its cousin, the G36. Due to its high capacity, it has a long sustained fire time, and it can kill multiple opponents in a few seconds. The recoil while using full-auto is sometimes uncontrollable at long range, so recoil-reducing attachments are recommended. The semi-auto mode is not recommended because of the extra time switching fire modes takes up, but could be suitable for longer ranges. This machine gun fits both defensive or aggressive play styles.
The alternative aiming mode can be used while holding a point / when prone.
Overall, the MG36, while being less powerful than some of the other LMGs, makes up for that with a high RoF for an LMG, a good reload time relative to magazine size and decent mobility for an LMG.
Pros & Cons
- High RoF.
- Decent reload time.
- Better handling traits than other LMGs.
- Faster mobility speed than other LMGs.
- Common ammunition type.
- Highest magazine size in-class.
- Moderate recoil.
- Very quick damage drop-off.
- Poor range drop-off for an LMG.
- Second lowest suppresion in-class.
- Low damage overall for an LMG.
- The MG36 in-game uses the same C-type rail carrying handle as the G36C, however, in real life, an MG36 has never been fitted with this type of carrying handle.
- In real life, it uses the same integrated optic carrying handle as the G36.
- Therefore, the model of the MG36 is that of a G36 with a C-type rail carrying handle and 100-round Beta-C drum magazine.
- In the Alpha-Demo the MG36 had the same telescopic scope carrying handle as the G36.
- In real life, soldiers have reported G36 variant rifles overheating extremely quickly after sustained fire. The MG36 is a different matter and has not been reported to have this problem, likely because of its heavier barrel.
- The MG36 was the second LMG to be added to the game.
- The MG36 like most other LMGs in-game has an unusable bipod.
- The MG36 model in-game has no trigger.