The M231 is an American Assault Rifle. The M231 is unlocked at rank 123 or can be purchased with credits (CR).
The M231 FPW (Firing Port Weapon) was designed for the M2 Bradley infantry fighting vehicle. The Rock Island Arsenal worked with the World War 2-era M3 submachine gun, another FPW based on the HK33, and an adapted AR-15/M16-pattern weapon before deciding that the last weapon had promising qualities and was given the designation XM231.
Colt was given the contract for the weapon and continued working on the design, and the weapon was finalised in 1979 and adopted as the M231.
The original Rock Island Arsenal XM231 fired from an open bolt, giving the weapon a deadly rate of fire of 1050 RPM (Rounds Per Minute). After Colt received the design, a special buffer and spring assembly limited the rate of fire to 200 RPM, thereby eliminating the risk that users would expend their ammunition before their weapon was brought to target.
At some point during development, the weapon's deadly firing rate was reintroduced at the 1100-1200 RPM range.
Officially, the M231 is not to be detached from its parent vehicle unless in an emergency, and the operator's manual warns of precautions that would have to be taken when using the weapon outside the vehicle. In-game, this rule is clearly violated.
The M231 FPW (Firing Port Weapon) is a powerful high recoil assault rifle added in the Phantom Forces Beta. It is found under the Assault Rifle weapon tab, in the Assault class. The M231 is very powerful, deadly at close range, and requires some serious compensation without any attachments. Due to the high ROF, they gave the M231 150 rounds in reserve. With this in mind, if the recoil can be controlled, it can become a very efficient killing machine that is literally impossible to beat, at least in a close range scenario, with the second fastest TTK in the whole game.
It is capable of killing a full health enemy to the head with just 3 shots to the head and can kill in 3 hits anywhere until 100 studs. At 150 studs of range, the M231 will do the lowest damage. Nonetheless, it can still kill a full health enemy in 3 shots to the head. However, it will take 4 shots to the body kill a full health enemy at 101 studs of range and beyond unless a suppressor is equipped.
The M231 can be construed as a bigger and faster-firing older brother of the Colt SMG 635. Users of the Colt may find the M231 very familiar, although the severely increased recoil comes with a more powerful round. This results in more effectiveness at close range than the Colt at the cost of ranged capability and ammunition consumption. The 5.56x45mm round and a shared ammo pool with the Assault Rifle class does however give the M231 much more viability than say, the MP7, another fast-firing weapon, though it only relies on the PDW class to provide its rare 4.6x30mm rounds.
Attachments can aid in giving the user better control over the recoil of the M231. Unfortunately, decrease in vertical recoil is negligible regardless of attachments. Lasers can prove to be very valuable attachments, as they are an excellent substitute for optics and a solution for the M231's lack of iron sights by hipfiring instead of ADSing. Generally, optics are not recommended because the M231's vertical recoil composes more of a diagonal climb than a straight upward climb; which obstructs the reticles of said optics. However, it is possible to use the laser as an improvised sight as the laser still accurately tracks the weapon's fire.
Suppressors can help a small bit in reducing recoil, but they do not provide nearly as much controllability as other muzzle devices. However, the ability to stay off the radar will help significantly against experienced enemies that use the radar. The penalty to muzzle velocity caused by suppressors is unnoticeable in close range, where the M231 excels at.
Many players have experimented with success the possibility to lower recoil with canted sights. you want the VCOG's benefits but need a CQB optic, pick up canted sights. If you also want a laser, just add the underbarrel laser. BT is not recommended as bullet drop is not a big problem since long ranged combat is deterred by the weapon's recoil.
Pros and Cons
- Very high overall damage and DPS (Damage Per Second).
- Has second highest ROF in-game, with the Tec-9 beating it, but the M231 has the highest RoF (Rate of Fire) on a primary weapon.
- Very small general damage drop-off. Sees usability at long range, as sort of an emulated marksman rifle.
- With a VCOG, it not only reduces the recoil but it also allows the rifle to act as a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle).
- Good hipfiring ability, if one doesn't wish to try and compensate for the recoil.
- Fast Reload similar to the M4, which can allow a user to quickly get back in fights, making it more new user-friendly.
- The M231 is compatible with many guns . When you have no more ammo, it is easy to find a dropped compatible gun and getting 150 rounds in a matter of seconds.
- Extremely high vertical recoil
- Vertical recoil can obstruct reticles of almost, if not every optic, except for the VCOG.
- Very high camera recoil/shake.
- Unusable iron sights.
- Due to the rate of fire, one will have to aim ~ 35/45 degrees lower to hit an enemy.
- Fast RoF can force frequent reloads for a user that cannot control ammunition wastage.
- lower-than-average bullet speed for the Assault Rifle class, at 2,200 studs/s instead of the usual 2,500 studs/s.
- The "Troll gun" is a nickname brought by the Stylis Studios developers who designed it to be extremely useless and uncontrollable to experienced and inexperienced players alike. However, some players have been able to use the M231 effectively, despite the implied definition of a "Troll Gun."
- This weapon is currently the second fastest firing weapon in the game, the first being the TEC-9.
- The recoil of the M231 is very high, can be barely reduced via attachments. VCOG is recommended since it lowers the overall vertical recoil.
- In real life, the M231 only has one fire mode, fully automatic.
- It is the only M4/M16 platform weapon in-game not to have a rear or front iron sight.
- Although classified as an assault rifle in-game, it is officially classified as a submachine gun. http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-1005-309-23-and-P.pdf
- The M231 appears to have silver embellishments, as opposed to the black embellishments on the Honey Badger and the dark grey embellishments on the other M4/M16 family guns. This could be due to the fact the M231 is unlocked at an extremely high rank, so the silver color of the embellishments are likely to commemorate such prestige.
- In real life , at exception the stock attachment , the M231 is very limited when it comes to customization. A surprising fact when compared to the rest of the M16 Family. Those who made the M231 could allow the sight to be removed, increasing the lightweight advantage ( which is the main goal of M231 ). However, as a discontinued gun, this is unlikely.
|Primary Weapons||Assault Rifles||AK-12 - AN-94 - AS VAL - SCAR-L - AUG A1 - M16A4 - G36 - M16A3 - AUG A2 - FAMAS - AK47 - AUG A3 - L85A2 - Honey Badger - AK74 - AKM - M231|
|Personal Defense Weapons||MP5K - UMP45 - MP7 - P90 - MP5 - Colt SMG 635 - MP5SD - MP10 - MP5/10 - AUG A3 Para - Kriss Vector|
|Light Machine Guns||M60 - AUG HBAR - MG36 - L86 LSW - RPK - SCAR-HAMR - RPK-74|
|Sniper Rifles||Intervention - Remington 700 - BFG 50 - Mosin Nagant - Railgun|
|Carbines||M4 - G36C - M4A1 - L22 - SCAR-PDW - SR-3M|
|Designated Marksman Rifles||MK-11 - SKS - Dragunov SVU - VSS Vintorez - SCAR-SSR|
|Battle Rifles||SCAR-H - AG-3|
|Shotguns||KSG-12 - Remington 870|
|Secondary Weapons||Pistols||M9 - G17 - M1911 - DEAGLE 44|
|Machine Pistols||G18 - M93R - TEC-9|
|Other||Serbu Shotgun - Obrez|