|Main Stab DMG||50|
|Main Slash Rate|
|Alt Slash Rate|
The Knife is the default Melee Weapon in Phantom Forces. It is unlocked from the beginning.
Daggers or knives designed for close quarters combat have been carried by soldiers for thousands of years. The adoption of combat daggers made of iron was a significant milestone in combat knife development, and such weapons were highly prized in the ancient armies of the Middle East. French and Italian military daggers of the 14th century were the first to introduce the acutely tapered, sharply pointed and double-edged blade as a response to improvements made in armor design and the need to exploit weaknesses in armor protection. The English and Scandinavians introduced a combat knife known as the "bollock dagger" into military service around 1350, while the French poignard and the Scottish dirk were daggers designed from the outset as military weapons.
The rise of firearms led to a decline in the use of combat daggers and knives as military-issue weapons. However, privately purchased knives were often carried by foot soldiers for use both as auxiliary weapons and as utility tools.
Some military forces issued knives for individual campaigns or for specialist troops such as pioneer or field engineer detachments, but these cutting tools were not primarily designed for use as combat knives. Rather, they are designed to be able to do a multitude of things. Some military knives intended primarily for use in a role other than combat are typically referred to by their primary role, such as "utility knife" or "survival knife".
The knife is the first melee weapon option available out of two, the other being the Machete. Both are statistically similar however the knife is slightly worse. However, the difference is so small that it isn't very noticeable and due to the much higher unlock rank of the Machete, the knife serves as a viable CQC weapon, when both the user's primary and secondary weapon run dry.
Pressing F will do a quick stabbing animation with the knife. It can be equipped by holding F or hitting 3, from there the player can left click to stab. It also can be used as an effective way to move faster if you're equipped with any heavy weapon in general. It can then be unequipped by scrolling or pressing the 1 or 2 keys (as that will bring up your primary and secondary). Another knifing animation can be done when the player right clicks.
Knifing an opponent anywhere except the back or head will lower their HP by 50. Knifing an opponent in the back will do 130 damage, instantly killing them regardless of health.
- It is often useful only to knife when the player is super close to their enemy as it is very risky and easy to kill someone who is running to them with a knife from far away.
- Use it as a last resort if you have completely run out of ammo in your secondary as well as primary. Often many players try to finish you with a knife and you will be forced to try and avoid it or fight.
- Attempting to knife somebody in an open area is extremely risky. A possible outcome of this is that you most likely get shot by another enemy before you get the chance to knife them.
- Instead, play patiently with it. Hide somewhere and find a moment to strike when an enemy is off guard.
Fighting Against a Knifer
- If you see somebody run up to you with a knife, run back and keep a good distance from the knifer while shooting him. You will most likely survive.
- If you are unable to get a good distance away from a person wielding a knife, equip a fast-firing weapon recommended for CQC, whether it is your machine pistol or PDW. However, if you have no other choice, the last resort is bringing out your own knife.
- The knife, however, will make the user run faster than you (It increases your agility). To avoid this, you may want to spot the knifer earlier and remain at a good distance so you can equip an actual firearm to kill them.
- Keep a good look on the minimap and your back. Chances are that there could be a knifer sneaking up onto you.
- During Demo Testing players were able to stab with right click. It was removed at the end of alpha, and later re-added in the beta.
- The right click stab is slower and does 1.2 times more damage. However, it's still not enough to kill a full heath player frontally.
- Your mobility reaches its max when running around with a knife. This is useful when equipped with heavy weapons such as LMGs and sniper rifles.
- Knifing players may cause them to rage, especially the ones with high killstreaks.
- In test place, the knifing animation was redone. It is now much faster than the one in the main game and resembles the midair knifing animation in BF4.
- You get a 50 XP bonus for knifing someone in the back.
- In the Phantom Forces Community Testing Environment (led by AxisAngle), there were 2 new weapons to the knife list: Fists, and Crane.
- The knife seen in-game is likely a combat knife or another sort of military knife.