|Weapon Type||Primary Weapon|
|Rank Prerequisites||Rank 56|
|Damage||37 -> 26|
|Range||70 max -> 130 min|
|Rate of Fire||85 RPM|
The KS-23 is a Soviet shotgun originally designed for controlling prison riots. Operators of this shotgun would be equipped variety of ammunition, most of which are not included in the game. Officially, the KS-23 is considered a carbine by the Russian military thanks to its rifled barrel, which is an uncommon feature for shotguns. The barrel of the shotgun is manufactured from 23mm anti-aircraft cannons that were considered flawed but still usable for the KS-23. As a result, the KS-23 fires what are roughly 6.27 gauge shells, which are the largest shells ever created for a shotgun.
3 more variants of the original KS-23 eventually came after this, the KS-23M, KS-23K, and the TOZ-123. The KS-23M features a detachable wire stock and shorter barrel, the KS-23K is a bullpup version that is fed from a 7-round detachable magazine, and the TOZ-123 is a civilian version that features a smoothbore barrel instead of a rifled one.
The KS-23M has the highest damage out of any shotgun, even more than the Remington 870 or Stevens DB. It also has a longer effective range compared to the other guns in its category. However, its magazine size is smaller than all other shotguns except the Sawed Off, Stevens DB, and Serbu Shotgun. Its RoF is also the slowest in its class. It has the same time to reload one shell as all other shotguns.
Along with its high damage and long effective range, the main advantage of this shotgun is its tight spread, which further amplifies its effectiveness at mid-range. In fact, it has the tightest spread of all shotguns in the game, making it very accurate even outside of CQC.
Usage & Tactics
The main weakness of the KS-23M is its low RoF and magazine size. This lets it down in CQC, as the penalty for missing a shot is more substantial compared to other shotguns like the R870. This makes the KS-23M much more dependent on accuracy than any other shotgun, heavily relying on hitting the first shot with precision. Hipfiring outside of close range isn't recommended, even in CQC as it is less reliable than ADS, which, when combined with the gun's tight spread, is one of its key strengths.
With slugs, the KS-23M performs very similar to itself when equipped with buckshot; one-hit kills anywhere out to 52 studs, and one-hit torso kills beyond that, and one-hit headshot kills at any range, just like the Remington 870. It competes with CQC orientated Sniper Rifles, such as the Mosin Nagant and L115A3. However, this means accuracy becomes paramount, as missing a shot can very likely result in death. Combined with the low RoF and less room for error with shot placement, the KS-23M becomes less potent in CQC, with even more emphasis on first shot precision than normal.
The KS-23M is overall a very powerful shotgun, but can let down by its RoF and minuscule magazine size. It is best used at mid-range, where it will devastate enemies with its tight spread and high damage, but can also be used effectively at close range with its very high damage. It rewards players that land accurate shots on target consistently.
Pros & Cons
- Very high damage.
- Tight pellet spread.
- Good accuracy for a shotgun.
- Consistent 1-shot kills out to ~75 studs, and consistent 2-hit kills out to ~120 studs.
- Better one-hit anywhere range with slugs than the BFG/SFG 50 (52 studs vs 50).
- Effective range of ~135 studs; very good for a shotgun.
- Slow RoF.
- Small magazine size.
- Weird pump animation; the gun doesn't fire immediately after pumping; only after the recoil settles. As a result, the effective RoF is slightly less than its maximum firerate.
- Due to being rifled, the KS-23M is actually classified as a carbine in the Russian military. This is shown by the designation KS, which stands for Karabin Spetsialniy, or "special carbine."
- As of 3.1.0, the KS-23M fires 9 pellets per shell versus 8 pellets per shell like other shotguns.
- This also means that it deals the most damage out of a single shell in class, at 306 damage, while the Stevens DB is second highest at 280 damage.
- Ironically, this is the only shotgun with a rifled barrel, but it has the best pellet spread and pellet density in class. It could mean that this is just a TOZ-123 kitted to look like a genuine KS-23M.
- While this gun does have two loadable buckshot rounds (Shrapnel-10 and -25, respectively) and a loadable slug round (Barricade), there were never any flechette or birdshot rounds designed for the KS-23 series.
|Primary Weapons||Assault Rifles||AK-12 - AN-94 - AS VAL - SCAR-L - AUG A1 - M16A4 - G36 - M16A3 - AUG A2 - FAMAS - AK47 - AUG A3 - L85A2 - Honey Badger - AK74 - AKM - M231|
|Personal Defense Weapons||MP5K - UMP45 - MP7 - MAC-10 - P90 - MP5 - Colt SMG 635 - MP5SD - MP10 - MP5-10 - AUG A3 Para - Kriss Vector|
|Light Machine Guns||Colt LMG - M60 - Colt LMG - AUG HBAR - MG36 - RPK-12 - L86 LSW - RPK - SCAR-HAMR - RPK-74|
|Sniper Rifles||Intervention - Remington 700 - AWS - BFG 50 - Mosin Nagant - L115A3 - Railgun|
|Carbines||M4 - G36C - M4A1 - L22 - SCAR-PDW - AKU-12 - AK-12C - SR-3M - Groza-1 [NEW!] - Groza-4 [NEW!]|
|Designated Marksman Rifles||MK-11 - SKS - Dragunov SVU - VSS Vintorez - SCAR-SSR|
|Battle Rifles||SCAR-H - AK-12 BR - AG-3 - Henry 45-70|
|Shotguns||KSG-12 - Remington 870 - KS-23M - Stevens DB|
|Secondary Weapons||Pistols||M9 - G17 - M1911 - DEAGLE 44|
|Machine Pistols||G18 - M93R - TEC-9|
|Other||Serbu Shotgun - ZIP 22 - SFG 50 - Sawed Off - Obrez|