The FAMAS is a French Assault Rifle. The FAMAS is unlocked at Rank 45 or can be purchased with credits (CR).
FAMAS stands for ("French: Fusil d'Assaut de la Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Étienne or "Assault Rifle from the Saint-Étienne Weapon Factory"). Issued since 1979 in France, this weapon features 3 fire modes: Full auto (900 RPM), 3-round-burst (1100 RPM), and semi auto.
The FAMAS is a French assault rifle which has 2 different variants in real life, the F1 and the G2. Prototype versions originally used the 7.62x51mm NATO round but it was redesigned to accept the 5.56x45mm NATO round after they found out that the 7.62 NATO wasn't suitable for a bullpup-type mechanism. The FAMAS F1 was introduced in 1971. It was not very reliable and was prone to breakage and jamming.
The FAMAS G1 model was introduced in 1996 to partially replace the F1. The G2 model (the version in-game) was then introduced to be compliant to NATO standards and used many of the G1's improvements. However, the F1 is still very common in the French Army mostly because they have held off from a large-scale purchase of G2 specification rifles. The French Navy is the primary user of the G2 model.
Due to closing of the MAS factory in 2002, FAMAS production has stopped since and the newest rifles are now over a decade old. In August 2016, the Ministere de la Defens was reported to have chosen the HK416 to replace the FAMAS in general service.
The FAMAS is a powerful and versatile Assault rifle introduced in the Phantom Forces Alpha. It is found in the Assault class in the Assault Rifle weapon category.The FAMAS can kill a full health enemy in 3 head shots and 4 body shots up until a range of 70 studs. At 70 studs, damage dropoff begins until 140 studs of range. At that range; the FAMAS kills in 4 head shots and 5 body shots.The FAMAS has rather average damage for an assault rifle. But the High ROF (Rate Of Fire) compensates for this, making the FAMAS a very versatile and fast killing gun.The default irons sights are well usable in real life, but they are very hard to aim with; and track moving enemies in-game. So it recommended to replace it with an optic as soon as one is available.The FAMAS has low blowback recoil, medium/low horizontal recoil, med-low/low camera recoil and moderate/high vertical recoil.
The FAMAS is very powerful and versatile, and can handle multiple situations comfortably, from CQC to more mid-range oriented combat
The gun is best used at close and medium range, and the high rate of fire can be useful for quickly moving targets, but ammo efficiency is negligible because of this. It is recommended to always hide near/behind cover when reloading, this is also advised when engaging more than 2 targets, unless the user has very good trigger control, or if the enemies are distracted (this being a pretty common scenario, due to the very common encounters of low rank/skilled enemies.)
Due to the high damage dropoff, the FAMAS is not very optimized for any engagements beyond medium range. If the user is not skilled enough to compensate for first shot recoil, the FAMAS can be very hard to use at range, and ammunition can be burned very quickly as a result.
When using the FAMAS, one should always keep sight on sources of ammunition or fire in short bursts to keep ammunition consumption down. Fortunately, the FAMAS can pick up ammo from all assault rifles and 5.56MM round using weapons.
The FAMAS is a very powerful and versatile weapon, it is also very fun to use. It's overall a very good weapon, even more so if the user is skilled. It can be considered one of the best assault rifles in the game.
Pros and Cons
- Very high ROF of 900 RPM
- Very high DPS at close range
- Fast reload for a bullpup rifle, if not the fastest of any bullpup weapon in game, making the weapon more forgiving for bad reload timing, allowing users to quickly get back in to fights.
- Can pick up ammunition from most assault rifles, and some carbines.
- Average damage and range for the assault rifle class.
- High ammunition consumption, even if the user has good trigger control.
- High recoil during sustained fire; can be mitigated to an acceptable level with attachments.
- Bad iron sights, it is recommended to replace them with an optic as soon as one is available like the reflex sight or coyote sight
- A common nickname for the FAMAS in real life is 'Clarion' (French for trumpet) due to its shape.
- In Alpha stage and early Beta stage, the 3rd Person model of FAMAS was the AN-94. This was fixed on December 30th 2015.
- The rifle in-game is the FAMAS G2 due to the trigger guard style and the usage of a STANAG 30 round magazine.
- However, it has the minimum fire rate of the FAMAS F1 (900-1000 RPM). The FAMAS G2 in real life can fire between (1000-1100 RPM). This is probably done for balancing purposes.
- This lower rate of fire might also be seen as a buff because it mitigates recoil from uncontrolled automatic fire, especially from a weapon that fires as fast as the FAMAS.
- The Phantom Forces FAMAS has a bayonet attachment point. However you cannot attach a bayonet in-game.
- The old range max -> min statistics were 50 max -> 90 min. The old damage max -> min was 32 -> 18 then 32 -> 19.
- The FAMAS in real life is unreliable and prone to jamming, especially the F1 variant.
- The MA5B Assault rifle in the 2001 Sci-fi shooter franchise Halo, is based on the FAMAS.
- It is assumed, if not confirmed that the FAMAS will get higher recoil (according to the community testing environment).
- One very unique thing about the FAMAS is that it has a built-in bipod.
|Primary Weapons||Assault Rifles||AK-12 - AN-94 - AS VAL - SCAR-L - AUG A1 - M16A4 - G36 - M16A3 - AUG A2 - FAMAS - AK47 - AUG A3 - L85A2 - Honey Badger - AK74 - AKM - M231|
|Personal Defense Weapons||MP5K - UMP45 - MP7 - MAC-10 [ADDED!] - P90 - MP5 - Colt SMG 635 - MP5SD - MP10 - MP5/10 - AUG A3 Para - Kriss Vector|
|Light Machine Guns||M60 - Colt LMG [ADDED!] - AUG HBAR - MG36 - L86 LSW - RPK - SCAR-HAMR - RPK-74|
|Sniper Rifles||Intervention - Remington 700 - AWS [ADDED!] - BFG 50 - Mosin Nagant - L115A3 [ADDED!] - Railgun|
|Carbines||M4 - G36C - M4A1 - L22 - SCAR-PDW - SR-3M|
|Designated Marksman Rifles||MK-11 - SKS - Dragunov SVU - VSS Vintorez - SCAR-SSR|
|Battle Rifles||SCAR-H - AG-3 - Henry 45-70 [NEW!]|
|Shotguns||KSG-12 - Remington 870 - KS-23M [NEW!]|
|Secondary Weapons||Pistols||M9 - G17 - M1911 - DEAGLE 44|
|Machine Pistols||G18 - M93R - TEC-9|
|Other||Serbu Shotgun - Obrez - SFG 50 [ADDED!]|