| This page is OUTDATED!
Some information in this page is incorrect due to a recent game update. You can help by gathering up-to-date information, then editing the page with the new information.
|Weapon Type||Primary Weapon|
|Weapon Class||Designated Marksman Rifle|
|Rank Prerequisites||Rank 38|
|Damage||60 -> 50|
|Range||120 max -> 200 min|
|Magazine Size||10, 11|
|Rate of Fire||150 RPM|
Designed in the early 1990s, the OTs-03 SVU (Snayperskaya Vintovka Ukorochennaya, Sniper Rifle Shortened) more commonly known as the Dragunov SVU was the result of a modernization project of the SVD (Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunova) Sniper rifle and was developed into a bullpup design. It uses an integral suppressor and fires the 7.62x54mmR round. It is usually fitted with a 10-round detachable box magazine. 20 and 30-round ones do exist, but these ones are less common. The weapon was developed for the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs, manufactured for security needs. The weapon was originally going to become the successor of the famous Soviet SVD, but the manufacturers realized that they would have to completely alter the mechanism if they were to implement a bullpup design, and therefore, the SVU was created. It was designed and fitted with an integrated special Muzzle Brake (which is not seen in-game) and most of the items on the SVU have been modernized versions of what's found on the SVD rifle.
The regular SVU has the same barrel length as the regular SVD, 62 cm. However, the SVU-A, the fully-automatic version of the SVU, has a shorter barrel, at 52 cm. The model used in PF is the SVU-A model without the fully automatic capability.
The Dragunov SVU is essentially a hybrid between a Sniper Rifle and a DMR. It has a high magazine capacity for a sniper rifle but it's low for a typical DMR, same goes for its rate of fire. The Dragunov SVU has a monstrous damage output, it can kill an opponent with 1 shot in the torso at close range and 2 shots to kill at other ranges, but it can 1-shot headshot-kill at a medium range, up to 120 studs. Additionally, a headshot hit of the Dragunov SVU will deal up to 90 damage at long range and it will likely eliminate the opponent most of the time. However, this is balanced out by also having extremely low mobility for a DMR.
The Dragunov SVU by default has the red illuminated typical Russian scope with a range finder and a representation of a 1.7m tall man bullet drop calculator in the bottom left. Currently, it's the only DMR with a telescopic sight as its default optic.
Due to its high vertical recoil, rapid shots are difficult with a higher-power scope unless you can get a headshot. The Dragunov SVU has a Lower ROF than the other rifles, so players still need to be extra careful and take time for aiming; a muzzle brake is highly recommended. This weapon can be used at medium to long range to protect objectives or wipe out other snipers. The Dragunov SVU can fill a more offensive role because of its high damage and great headshot multiplier, which makes it easier to kill people if the player is accurate.
|Kobra - Coyote =|
|Eotech (both) =|
PK-A - MARS - PKA-S = 3.4x
Comp Aimpoint =
|M145 - C79 = 3.4x|
|Z-point = N/A|
|ACOG = 4x|
|Sniper Scope (default) = 7.5x|
|VCOG = 6x|
Usage & Tactics
The SVU should be considered a different weapon in its own right. While it has the semi auto features of a DMR, the low ROF, high damage and a default 7x scope make it very much of a "sniper" rather than a "counter sniper".The SVU's 1 shot headshot range is not bad, dropping off at 120 studs, like the SCAR-SSR. Compared to other DMR's, and its main competitor, the SSR, the range on the higher end of its class.
The SVU has good power at range due to a 2SK at any range. As well as this, the 7x optic pays off somewhat, along with a 3000 stud/s muzzle velocity. However, the low ammo reserve and low Rof make it lack versatility, unless the user can gets his shots on an opponent in CQC very efficiently. Spamming is also a big issue, as while the max fire cap is easy to reach, the recoil makes follow-up shots go above the user, unless the player can let the recoil settle back down.
Due to a lack of versatility and being a "sniper" type weapon overall, long distance sniping maps like Desert storm allow for the SVU to potentially find its play style with the user, because of the CQC potential along with long range engagements in a partially enclosed, but overall open environment. While the 7x optic is reliable, using a medium range optic (ACOG, M145 etc.) makes the SVU slightly more versatile, as the user has the ability to have better aim-down-sights (ADS) accuracy with a lower magnification optic in CQC.
While not as versatile as other DMRs, the SVU can be considered a sniper/counter sniper hybrid, and can very easily engage enemies at medium to long ranges. Despite being fairly outclassed by other DMRs at a quite a few aspects, it can still hold its ground against them, no matter the skill of the player.
Pros & Cons
- Third highest damage in-class.
- Capable of a one-shot-headshot kill at close range.
- Has a default scope, unlike other DMR weapons.
- Highest range in-class (Tied with SCAR-SSR).
- Fast reload for a bullpup weapon.
- High recoil while firing rapidly.
- Second lowest firecap of its class.
- Low ammo capacity compared to the other DMRs.
- The SVU's default scope seems to be modelled after a PSO-1 scope, but functions as if it were a PKS-07 scope. This is because the scope in-game is 7.5x zoom, and the PKS-07 is a 7x time scope which is close to the in-game zoom level.
- In addition, the PSO-1 is available as a default attachment for the Dragunov-SVU and the VSS Vintorez.
- The model used in-game is the SVU-A model, which cannot fire in fully-automatic mode.
- In real life, the gun has a built-in muzzle brake. Despite this, the gun currently has relatively high vertical recoil in-game.
- For balance reasons, the weapon's headshot multiplier was reduced from an initial value of x2 to x1.8.
- Besides the AUG A1, G36, and SFG 50, the Dragunov is the only non-sniper weapon that has a scope by default.
- The Dragunov has folding iron sights which are unused in-game.
- When first introduced, the SVU was classified in-game as a sniper rifle instead of a DMR. This was soon changed but explains why it still has a built-in scope and picks up ammunition from sniper rifles rather than DMRs.
- The SVU in-game used to have an integral suppressor and was unable to attach barrel attachments. However, this integral suppressor has since been removed.
- The Dragunov SVU was the first non-Sniper Rifle to feature a default high-magnification scope.