The Dragunov SVU (OTs-03 SVU) is a Russian bullpup designated marksman rifle/sniper rifle, available only to the Scout and Recon Classes. It's unlocked at level 38 and can instead be purchased with Credits.
Designed in the early 1990s, Dragunov SVU is the result of a modernization project of the SVD sniper rifle, and was developed into a bullpup design. It uses an integral suppressor and fires 7.62x54mmR rounds fitted in a 10-round or, in real life, 20-round detachable box magazines as well.. The Dragunov SVU, also known as the OTs-03, was developed for the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs, manufactured for security needs. The weapon was originally going to become the successor of the famous Soviet SVD, but the manufacturers realized that they would have to completely alter the mechanism if they were to implement a bullpup design, and therefore, the SVU was created. In the real world, it is designed and fitted with an integral special muzzle brake and most of the items on the SVU have been modernized versions of what's found on the SVD rifle.
The regular SVU has the same barrel length as the regular SVD, 62 cm. However, the SVU-A, the fully-automatic version of the SVU, has a shorter barrel, at 52 cm. The model used in PF is the SVU-A model without the fully automatic capacity.
In-game, the SVU is a DMR. It has a high magazine capacity for a sniper rifle but it's low for a typical DMR, same goes for its rate of fire. The SVU has a monstrous damage, it can kill an opponent with 1 shot in the torso at close range and 2 shots to kill at other ranges, but it can only do a 1-shot headshot-kill at medium range, up to 160 studs. Though, a headshot hit of the SVU will deal up to 97 damage at long range and it will likely eliminate the opponent in the most of case. The SVU has low mobility for a DMR.
The SVU by default has the red illuminated typical Russian scope with a range finder and a representation of a 1.7m tall man bullet drop calculator in the bottom left. Current, it's the only DMR with a telescopic sight as the default optic.
Due to high vertical recoil, rapid shots are difficult with a higher-power scope unless you can get a headshot. The SVU has a faster bullet drop than the other rifles, so players still need to be extra careful and take time for aiming; a muzzle brake is highly recommended. This weapon can be used at medium to long range to protect objectives or wipe out other snipers. The SVU can fill a more offensive role because of its high damage and great headshot multiplier, which makes it easier to kill people if you're accurate.
Pros and Cons
- Highest damage of the DMRs
- If you use a non zoom sight you can use it like an sks or mk11 but with much higher damage!
- You dont need to un-scope to put in another round (like other snipers), it is fully semi-auto.
- One headshot kill up to 160 studs, and still does a massive damage to the target at longer range
- Has a default scope, unlike other DMR weapons
- Very fast reload for a bullpup weapon.
- High recoil while firing rapidly
- If you hit an enemy at long range but someone else kills your target, you won't get a kill assist, because you must get over 50 damage to a target to get an assist kill)
- Lowest ROF of its class
- Very distinctive firing sound, anyone who hears it will know what they're dealing with
- Very loud when shot at.
- Low ammo capacity compared to the other DMRs. Careful shots are required to conserve ammo.
- The SVU's optic is not a PSO-1 scope because the PSO-1 has only x4 magnification while the SVU's scope in game obviously has a higher zoom than the VCOG, which is x6 magnification.
- The model used in PF is the SVU-A model without the fully automatic capacity.
- In real life, the gun has a built-in muzzle brake, so it's unknown why it has high vertical recoil in the game. This may be for balancing purpose, and it may be because it's still firing large caliber rounds.
- The integral barrel can be replaced unlike the AS VAL.
- Its Russian name is Снайперская винтовка укороченная or Snayperskaya Vintovka Ukorochennaya.
- The SVU can also be used with a 20 round magazine. However, these are very rare.
- For re-balancing reasons, the headshot multiplier was reduced from x2 to x1.95.
- Other than the AUG A1 and G36, it is the only non-sniper weapon that has a scope for a default sight.
- It has unusable, foldable iron sights.
- The SVU is the bullpup configuration of the Dragunov SVD.
- It has a surprisingly fast reload for bullpup weapons. However, in real life the SVU would be very awkward to reload.
- When first introduced, it was classified as a sniper rifle, not a DMR. This was soon changed, but explains why it still has a built-in scope (unlike the other DMRs, which by default, all have iron sights)
|List of Weapons|
|Primary Weapons||Assault Rifles||AK-12 - AN-94 - AS VAL - SCAR-L - AUG A1 - M16A4 - G36 - M16A3 - AUG A2 - FAMAS - AK47 - AUG A3 - L85A2 - Honey Badger - AK74 - AKM - M231|
|Personal Defensive Weapons (PDWs)||MP5K - UMP45 - MP7 - P90 - MP5 - Colt SMG 635 - MP5SD - MP10 - MP5/10 - AUG A3 Para - Kriss Vector|
|Light Machine Guns (LMGs)||M60 - AUG HBAR - MG36 - L86 LSW - RPK - SCAR-HAMR - RPK74|
|Sniper Rifles||Intervention - Remington 700 - BFG 50 - Mosin Nagant - Railgun|
|Carbines||M4 - G36C - M4A1 - L22 - SCAR-PDW - SR-3M|
|Designated Marksman Rifles (DMRs)||MK-11 - SKS - Dragunov SVU - VSS Vintorez - SCAR-SSR|
|Battle rifles||SCAR-H - AG-3|
|Shotguns||KSG-12 - Remington 870|
|Secondary Weapons||Pistol||M9 - G17 - M1911 - DEAGLE 44|
|Machine Pistol||G18 - M93R - TEC-9|
|Other||Serbu Shotgun - Obrez|