Designed in the early 1990s, Dragunov SVU is the result of a modernization project of the SVD sniper rifle, and was developed into a bullpup design. It uses an integral suppressor and fires 7.62x54mmR rounds fitted in a 10-round or, in real life, 20-round detachable box magazines as well.. The Dragunov SVU, also known as the OTs-03, was developed for the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs, manufactured for security needs. The weapon was originally going to become the successor of the famous Soviet SVD, but the manufacturers realized that they would have to completely alter the mechanism if they were to implement a bullpup design, and therefore, the SVU was created. In the real world, it is designed and fitted with an integral special muzzle brake and most of the items on the SVU have been modernized versions of what's found on the SVD rifle.
The regular SVU has the same barrel length as the regular SVD, 62 cm. However, the SVU-A, the fully-automatic version of the SVU, has a shorter barrel, at 52 cm. The model used in PF is the SVU-A model without the fully automatic capacity.
In-game, the SVU is a DMR. It has a high magazine capacity for a sniper rifle but it's low for a typical DMR, same goes for its rate of fire. The SVU has a monstrous damage, it can kill an opponent with 1 shot in the torso at close range and 2 shots to kill at other ranges, but it can only do a 1-shot headshot-kill at medium range, up to 160 studs. Though, a headshot hit of the SVU will deal up to 97 damage at long range and it will likely eliminate the opponent in the most of case. The SVU has low mobility for a DMR.
The SVU by default has the red illuminated typical Russian scope with a range finder and a representation of a 1.7m tall man bullet drop calculator in the bottom left. Current, it's the only DMR with a telescopic sight as the default optic.
Due to high vertical recoil, rapid shots are difficult with a higher-power scope unless you can get a headshot. The SVU has a faster bullet drop than the other rifles, so players still need to be extra careful and take time for aiming; a muzzle brake is highly recommended. This weapon can be used at medium to long range to protect objectives or wipe out other snipers. The SVU can fill a more offensive role because of its high damage and great headshot multiplier, which makes it easier to kill people if you're accurate.
Pros and Cons
- Highest damage of the DMRs
- One headshot kill up to 91 studs, and still does a massive damage to the target at longer range
- Has a default scope, unlike other DMR weapons
- Very fast reload for a bullpup weapon
- High recoil while firing rapidly
- Lowest RoF of its class
- Very loud, distinctive firing sound
- Low ammo capacity compared to the other DMRs. Careful shots are required to conserve ammo, less ammo than sniper rifles
- Cannot have barrel attachments
- The SVU's optic is not a PSO-1 scope because the PSO-1 has only x4 magnification while the SVU's scope in game has a higher zoom.
- This fact is officially confirmed as the attachment PSO-1 scope is now available in the game.
- The SVU's scope seems to be modelled after a PSO-1 scope, but functions as if it where a PKS-07 scope. This is because the scope in-game is 7.5x zoom, and the PKS-07 is a 7x time scope which is close to the in-game zoom level.
- The model used in PF is the SVU-A model without the fully automatic capacity.
- In real life, the gun has a built-in muzzle brake. Despite this, the gun currently has relatively high vertical recoil in-game.
- The integral barrel can be replaced unlike the AS VAL.
- The Russian name of the SVU is "Снайперская винтовка укороченная" or romanized as Snayperskaya Vintovka Ukorochennaya.
- In real life, the SVU can use a 20 round magazine. However, these are very rare.
- For re-balancing reasons, the headshot multiplier was reduced from an initial value of x2 to x1.8 again
- Other than the AUG A1,G36, and SFG 50, it is the only non-sniper weapon that has a scope for a default sight.
- It has unusable, foldable iron sights.
- The SVU is the bullpup configuration of the Dragunov SVD.
- It has a surprisingly fast reload for bullpup weapons. However, in real life the SVU would be very awkward to reload.
- When first introduced, it was classified as a sniper rifle, not a DMR. This was soon changed, but explains why it still has a built-in scope (unlike the other DMRs, which by default, all have iron sights)
|Primary Weapons||Assault Rifles||AK-12 - AN-94 - AS VAL - SCAR-L - AUG A1 - M16A4 - G36 - M16A3 - AUG A2 - FAMAS - AK47 - AUG A3 - L85A2 - Honey Badger - AK74 - AKM - M231|
|Personal Defense Weapons||MP5K - UMP45 - MP7 - MAC-10 [ADDED!] - P90 - MP5 - Colt SMG 635 - MP5SD - MP10 - MP5/10 - AUG A3 Para - Kriss Vector|
|Light Machine Guns||M60 - Colt LMG [ADDED!] - AUG HBAR - MG36 - L86 LSW - RPK - SCAR-HAMR - RPK-74|
|Sniper Rifles||Intervention - Remington 700 - AWS [ADDED!] - BFG 50 - Mosin Nagant - L115A3 [ADDED!] - Railgun|
|Carbines||M4 - G36C - M4A1 - L22 - SCAR-PDW - SR-3M|
|Designated Marksman Rifles||MK-11 - SKS - Dragunov SVU - VSS Vintorez - SCAR-SSR|
|Battle Rifles||SCAR-H - AG-3 - Henry 45-70 [NEW!]|
|Shotguns||KSG-12 - Remington 870 - KS-23M [NEW!]|
|Secondary Weapons||Pistols||M9 - G17 - M1911 - DEAGLE 44|
|Machine Pistols||G18 - M93R - TEC-9|
|Other||Serbu Shotgun - Obrez - SFG 50 [ADDED!]|