- Assault Rifles are versatile weapons which can be used in many different situations and at a variety of engagement distances. Each Assault Rifle has a number of small quirks that make it unique, and knowing how to best utilize these quirks can help you to get the most out of your rifle.
- Try to tap-fire or use an alternative fire mode when engaging enemies at extreme distances. It is difficult to control the automatic fire of an Assault Rifle when engaging far-away enemies.
- Be careful when reloading. Though most rifles have a relatively short reload, it is very possible that an enemy may catch you midway through a reload if you attempt one at the wrong time. If this happens, simply reload-cancel by left clicking. This will save your life in many situation if you remember to.
- Knowing when and where to engage a target is the key to winning a gun fight. Pacing your shots correctly and precisely will help kill an enemy a lot quicker, and preserve ammo.
- No matter how you shoot with your rifle, always make sure that the shots are focused on the enemy's head to reduce the Time To Kill (TTK). One of the ways to make this even easier is to keep your gun's reticle or cross-hair at something, which we call "headlines". It is a general area or level, where enemy heads can be found.
Damage Range Accuracy Fire Rate 32-24 50 max -> 120 min General: 39
Unlocked at Rank 10, the AN-94 is unusual for its default 2-round burst mode, that fires at a very high rate.
- The defining feature of the AN-94 is its 1800-RPM 2-round burst mode. Learning to use it effectively is imperative to using the AN-94 well.
- The full-auto firing mode also fires a quick 2-round burst at the beginning, which gives the user an advantage in a gunfight at most ranges if the user can land those 2 shots, as at long range, they are very accurate like the 2-round burst fire mode, and at close range, the quick burst of bullets improves the high TTK of this gun in close quarters.
- The AN-94 can shine at almost all ranges, though in very close quarters it is outgunned by high-rate-of-fire automatic weapons, even on burst mode.
- The AN-94 values accuracy over rate of fire. Throwing off an AN-94 user's aim can go a long way towards preventing him from killing you.
- An AN-94 player values predictability in his opponents in order to line up shots that will kill them. Try taking unconventional routes or using unconventional movement (sliding, going prone, etc.) when fighting an AN-94 user.
- Try closing the range to point-blank where the AN-94's slight delay between bursts can lead to the death of its user, especially after the July 4th, 2017 update.
- Keep moving as much as possible.
Optic Underbarrel Barrel OtherRed-Dot SightStubby GripCompensatorGreen Laser
Suggested by Blackisle3122.
This configuration is optimized for combat at short or medium ranges - preferably in the area between those two. Overall, this configuration emphasizes aimed accuracy, with the Stubby Grip and Compensator working to decrease recoil while the Green Laser increases accuracy while aiming down the sight. This means that aiming down the sights at an enemy in a mid-range firefight is the most preferable situation with this configuration. However, should you find yourself in very close quarters combat, you may have trouble using this configuration since aiming down the sights at those ranges is difficult, and the Green Laser emphasizes aimed rather than hip accuracy.
Medium Range Specialist
Optic Underbarrel Barrel OtherRifle ScopeAngled GripCompensatorGreen Laser
Suggested by Ivan Clemente.
Due to the AN-94's low recoil, it is very possible to use it as a medium-to-long range sniping weapon. However, like all Assault Rifles, its low damage per shot means that you have to consistently hit enemies in order to kill them - switching to the laser-beam accurate fully automatic fire mode of the AN-94 can aid in this. The Rifle Scope aids in spotting enemies at medium-range, whilst the Angled Grip, Compensator, and Green Laser all aid in medium-to-long range shooting. However, as can be expected, this configuration suffers heavily in close-range engagements, unless you can manage to aim with a magnified scope at very close range.
Long Range Specialist
Optic Underbarrel Barrel OtherM145
Acog ScopeVertical GripMuzzle BrakeBallistics Tracker
Suggested by Dionysusnu. WIP
Because the AN-94 can kill someone with 2 headshot bursts, this loadout can act as a sniper, if your aim is good enough.
Damage Range Accuracy Fire Rate 34-24 40 max -> 75 min General: 25
Unlocked at Rank 15, the AS VAL features an integral suppressor and is chambered in a special cartridge.
- The AS VAL fires at a blistering rate of fire for an Automatic Assault Rifle. Be very careful with your trigger discipline if engaging more than one enemy; it is very possible to waste an entire magazine on one person.
- Aim for close-quarters duels with enemies using slower-firing weapons when using the AS VAL. In this way, it can be thought of as a slightly beefier PDW.
- Due to its integral suppressor, the AS VAL cannot take barrel attachments. This means it will always be suppressed.
- Use this fact to your advantage to sneak around to the enemy's back area without him seeing you on the radar.
- Since the VAL fires so quickly, medium-to-long range engagements are definitely its weak point. Seek these engagements if fighting someone using an AS VAL.
- Stay out of choke-points, doorways, and other easy places for a VAL user to target groups if you know one is lurking around.
- Even if using Extended Magazines, AS VALs have to be reloaded quite often. Use this to your advantage by charging against someone you know has an empty magazine.
Optic Barrel Underbarrel OtherRed-Dot SightN/AVertical GripLaser
This configuration is designed, essentially, for point-blank range work. Oddly for the AS VAL, this configuration sacrifices the 10 extra bullets of the extended magazine for the laser attachment.
M16A4 (IN PROGRESS)
Damage Range Accuracy Fire Rate 34-22 50 max > 165 min General: 33
Unlocked at Rank 22, the M16A4 is a burst fire assault rifle.
- The M16A4 is one of the most versatile weapons in the game.
- It has a fitting combination of decent damage (if a bit low for some tastes), high accuracy, low recoil, good stability, fast camera recovery, decent capacity and reload speed, and a very usable ROF.
- In close range, a single burst (3 shots) has the potential to kill a full health enemy, dealing 102 damage.
- The very high usable ROF of 900, combined with the lack of any burst delay (like the AN94), dramatically increases the CQC potential.
- It can take out enemies in no time with less ammunition used.
- Medium range performance is excellent, this may be the M16A4's main strength.
- The bursts are very accurate, due to a combination of a very fast camera recovery, which makes aiming for the next shot (or burst) much easier, and low recoil, which makes it easier for the shots to hit their intended target.
- If used correctly, multiple consecutive bursts are able to hit the target at medium range reliably
- At longer ranges, switching to semi-auto allows the user to fully take advantage of the low recoil, fast camera recovery, and high stability to act as a counter sniper in certain conditions.
- Follow up shots are easy to make.
- However, the M16A4 requires 5 shots for a longer range kill (minimum damage: 24), which hinders its long range performance.
- With good optics, the M16A4 is able to make consistent headshots in longer ranges.
- Do be wary of the fact that there is a clear possibility for the user to spray the M16A4.
- The use should consider careful shot placement at all situations.
- Bursts are useless at long ranges/
- Fortunately, spraying with the M16A4 is significantly more accurate than spraying with other weapons.
- It shines best in mid range combat, as the combination of firepower and accuracy allow it to effectively engage in a combat distance that is uncomfortably close for DMRs and snipers, and too far for shotguns, most smgs, assault rifles, accurate machine gun fire, and handguns.
Weapon StrategyvsAutomatic Assault RiflevsBurst-Fire Assault RiflevsCompact Personal Defense WeaponvsPersonal Defense WeaponvsHigh-Capacity Light Machine GunvsMagazine-Fed Light Machine Gun vs DMR vs Sniper Rifle
- Do seek to impede the aim of any M16A4 user, especially in long range. Due to the fact that the M16A4 need 5 shots for a long range kill, and therefore depends on fast follow up shots, throwing off the aim is crucial to taking them out at long ranges, as the M16A4 is able to accurately hit enemies at long range.
- Try not to take on a M16A4 user head on, especially at close and medium range combat. Your enemy will be able to dump consecutive bursts on you very consistently (especially between 50-100 studs), very effective in medium range combat, and the M16A4 is able to kill in one burst up to 55 studs, making it a powerful CQC weapon. Ambushing a M16A4 user is a good way of surprising them, killing them before they have time to react.
- Sometimes, if you keep moving when facing a M16A4 user, your opponent may potentially dump all their ammunition trying to hit you. When they run out of bullets, take that window of opportunity and kill them as soon as possible. This is mainly a CQC and mid range strategy.
Optic Barrel Underbarrel OtherAcog ScopeCompensatorVertical GripGreen Laser
Suggested by 66mazda.
This build combines the zoom of the ACOG Scope and attachments that lower recoil to outcompete players at medium range while aiming to close range hipfires.
AK-12 (in progress)
Damage Range Accuracy Firerate 33-20 70 max
Auto: 700 RPM
Burst: 1000 RPM
Unlocked by default, the AK-12 is the first assault rifile available, with automatic and burst options.
- The AK-12's automatic mode is rather slow for an AR at 700 RPM. The damage is fairly high, but is still a 4-5SK to torso or limbs. It also beats the other automatic starting weapon, the M4A1 at long ranges due to having 1 less shot to kill.
- Burst Mode is faster, but can't kill a player with 1 burst like the M16A4, and has moderately high recoil. It can finish off a player with even the lowest amount of damage as a plus.
- The AK has lots of ammo for a starter weapon, and can refill from most other ARs and Carbines. Running out while firing shouldn't be an issue compared to some others in its class, due to low fire rate.
- The AK12 is good for new players needing an automatic rifle as well as players new to burst rifles in PF, but becomes outclassed later by more specialized weapons.
Weapon Strategy AK-12vsAutomatic Assault Rifle WIP AK-12vsBurst-Fire Assault Rifle WIP
Damage Range Accuracy Firerate 35-25 90 max -> 150 min General: 27
The M231, when it comes to assault rifles, is the ultimate answer to any close quarters contest. Its tremendous firerate and massive damage make quick work of anyone within its (albeit small) cone of terror.
- The M231's recoil is extremely violent, but workable.
- Aiming down sights can be viable when aiming for the feet, as this points the gun at a player's torso and head while firing.
- Hipfire is far more stable and seems to play much more normally.
- The M231 is relatively mobile with 14 walkspeed and 9.7 ADS walkspeed. Players with the M231 can repositon quickly and can usually peek corners.
- Don't expect M231 players to try and tap you across wide open spaces. The M231 is almost completely incapable of any sort of damage outside of close range, as its recoil is so violent that it makes keeping track of a target pointless. They may, however, try to suppress you by spraying in your general direction.
- The M231 has the lightning-fast reload of its family. Just because it stops firing doesn't mean that there's a window of opportunity.
- The M231 will exhaust its ammo extremely quickly, but is capable of refilling off other assault rifles and any weapons chambered in 5.56. It can be starved out in a PDW or shotgun heavy environment.
Weapon StrategyM231vsAutomatic Assault Rifle Against other automatics, the M231 will only win in close quarters. It can be easily outranged by most automatics, especially those with minimum damage that can equal or better the M231's (a decent counter that comes to mind is the L85A2 with its 25 minimum damage.)M231vsBurst-Fire Assault Rifle Much like with automatics, burst fire rifles will need to keep their distance. However, since burst rifles tend to have better damage output over range, it's much more feasible to stop a M231 player in their tracks if you have the distance.M231vsCompact Personal Defense Weapon Not many PDWs can contest the M231, but it can be a surprisingly fair fight. Experienced M231 users can be even more deadly than the MAC-10, one of the fastest firing PDWs. Since most compact PDWs can't keep pace with the M231 in close range, harassment at a distance will be the best option. This, however, will not be very effective.M231vsPersonal Defense Weapon The larger PDWs, with better ranged performance, stand a much better chance at effectively defeating M231 users. As usual, the M231 can't hit much of anything outside of about 100 studs, so harassing them from a distance using much better stability and ranged damage will send them packing.M231vsHigh-Capacity Light Machine Gun There is only one high-capacity LMG that can really go toe-to-toe with the M231, and that's the MG3KWS. At 1000 RPM, it's one of the few weapons that can keep damage up, but more importantly, it's incredibly stable with the right build. MG3KWS users can easily pluck the M231 out of a squad with a quick spray, and the M231 will be unable to return fire. In close quarters, the MG3KWS stands a chance due to the ability to wallbang, meaning that if a M231 can be predicted to come around a corner with a thin wall, the battle can be over before it even begins.
Don't even try to engage the M231 at close range with the M60. That will result in instant death. Instead, use the powerful wallbang capabilities of the M60 to dispatch the M231 before it can even get you in its sights.M231vsMagazine-Fed Light Machine Gun
Most mag-fed light machine guns can easily beat the M231 in a ranged contest. However, the slow fire rate of these weapons tends to fare poorly in close quarters, especially when trying to make an attack from the back. Don't try to engage M231 players with mag-fed LMGs unless there's some serious distance.M231vsShotgun Shotguns stand a chance against the M231 if they can get the first shot off, as shotguns can instantly kill players. Most of the time it's suicide, but the few frames that it takes for the M231 to get 4 bullets in can be plenty of time to pull the trigger and land a spray of pellets against the M231. In fact, they're one of the only major threats to the M231 in close range.M231vsSniper Rifle Snipers are the hard counter to the M231. With no ranged performance, the M231 cannot kill sniper rifles. The most it can do is slowly harass them, and even then, a wise M231 player will choose to disengage rather than stand there and fight. However, as per all sniper rifles, the moment the M231 closes in, there's only one chance to land a lucky bodyshot or headshot before the M231 gets another kill.
- Range is the enemy of the M231. Use it. Any weapon that can keep a steady stream of fire at distance means that the M231 user will be forced to reposition.
- If forced into a close quarters fight, stay behind cover and move as quickly as possible to break away from the M231 user or cause them to make a mistake.
- Shotguns are one of the few hard counters to the M231. Drop them before they even get a chance to fire.
- The M231 has the AR-15 lightning-fast reload, but when it empties its magazine (which it will,) the M231 will be left open while cycling the bolt. Run the M231 dry and get them while they're reloading.
- Remember, though, that anyone using the M231 will more than likely switch out to their secondary when pressured like this.
- If an M231 user needs to be killed, sometimes grenades are the only option. Rush their location with a grenade cooking, throw it, and cross your fingers.