|Weapon Type||Primary Weapon|
|Weapon Class||Sniper Rifle|
|Rank Prerequisites||Rank 41|
|Damage||80 -> 70|
|Range||30 max -> 115 min|
|Magazine Size||5, 6|
|Rate of Fire||45 RPM|
The AWS (Arctic Warfare Suppressed) is an integrally suppressed version of the AW (Arctic Warfare) series of bolt-action rifles, designed to cope with the extreme conditions of arctic combat. Since it is designed to use subsonic ammunition, the overall noise when firing is very quiet. Although it is integrally suppressed, the AWS has the same overall length as the AW rifles. This was done by shortening the barrel length from the AW's 26 inches to 16 inches. The user can also replace the AWS barrel with any AW barrel in a matter of minutes.
The AWS is a unique bolt action rifle, as it is equipped with an integral suppressor. Its integral suppressor masks the firing sound significantly while retaining relatively good damage and range compared to a suppressor on other sniper rifles, but it has quite average stats for a sniper in terms of damage. It has the worst damage drop off of all sniper rifles and lower damage compared to the L115A3 while retaining a similar firerate. The integral suppressor bars the player from using barrel attachments, the trade-off for all integrally suppressed weapons. It is one of the three sniper rifles that have iron sights available as a default optic, the other two being the Mosin-Nagant and L115A3.
Usage & Tactics
The AWS, like the Mosin-Nagant and L115A3, suits a more aggressive playstyle, due to its fast cycle rate. Unlike the Mosin and L115A3, when shooting, you will not appear on the mini-map due to the Integral suppressor, so if you miss, you're not penalized as much. Nevertheless, the suppressor still hinders the muzzle velocity of the AWS with velocity being at a reduced 2000 studs/sec, as opposed to the standard of 3000 studs/sec for in-game sniper rifles. This means that at longer ranges you will have to lead your targets more than normal.
Additionally, like the Mosin-Nagant and L115A3, the option to use iron sights allows an AWS user to have a large FOV. However, if you are looking to use the AWS at longer ranges and if being able to identify targets at range is needed more than a larger FOV, than you may instead use the PM II, a 10x magnification scope available by default not only for the AWS, but for the L115A3 as well (Though the PM II for the AWS an illuminated reticle while the L115A3 does not).
The AWS also sports the fastest ADS and tactical reload, and second fastest RoF out of the sniper rifles, though the AWS also shares these claims with the L115A3. This allows the AWS to fill in a more aggressive role as a sniper. Remember, though to reload while it still has some bullets left, because this weapon has a very long empty reload, which can get you killed if you do not have a good alternative answer to a threat. Also, due to the integrated suppressor, the AWS can not take an barrel attachments, so keep this in mind
The AWS, like every sniper rifle, is meant to be used at longer ranges and snipe people from a distance. However, due to the AWS' ability to quickly recognize and deal with an enemy, default iron sights and slower muzzle velocity due to an integrated suppressor, you should find yourself more comfortable using this weapon at closer ranges then you would with other sniper rifles such as the Intervention or BFG 50.
Pros & Cons
- Cannot be detected on the mini-map while firing due to the Integral suppressor.
- Has access to both ironsights and a sniper scope.
- Has fastest in-class tactical reload.
- Fastest in-class ADS time.
- Second fastest firing in-class weapon.
- Lower muzzle velocity due to the integral suppressor.
- Cannot accept barrel attachments.
- Low magazine capacity.
- Very slow empty reload.
- Although the in-game stats show that it is chambered in .308 Winchester with a 5-round magazine, in real life, it is chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO with a 10-round magazine. This is probably for balancing reasons.
- Technically, this is still accurate, as .308 Winchester is technically the same as the 7.62x51mm NATO round. However, .308 Winchester has higher chamber pressures than the 7.62x51mm NATO round, which would result in gas leakage if fired from a rifle designed for 7.62x51mm NATO.
- The AWS is the first integrally suppressed sniper rifle in-game.
- Before the AWS' nerf, it had a 3,000 stud/s velocity despite being integrally suppressed.
- The default scope for the AWS, the PM II, has an illuminated reticle in the center, while the same PM II for the L115A3 does not.
- In real life, the AWS has no sights unless an optical attachment or other sight is attached.
- The AWS has same iron sights as Kriss Vector.
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_International_Arctic_Warfare#AWS_.28Arctic_Warfare_Suppressed.29